5 Steps For A Super Defined Twist Out

I love a good Twist Out and it’s my go to style these days. As the temperature drops I’m not trying to be going outside with my hair wet, ain’t nobody got time to be sitting in the hospital with pneumonia. A Twist Out allows me to keep it cute without being cold. It also elongates the hair and eliminates some shrinkage. With trial and error, I’ve perfected my method and get a super defined Twist Out on my 4c hair every single time by simply following these 5 steps.

Step 1

4c Natural Hair Type

I’m using the L.O.C. Method- applying a leave-in conditioner, followed by an oil and then a cream. This locks in the moisture for a juicy Twist Out. On wet, freshly washed and deep-conditioned hair, apply your leave-in conditioner. I use the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In. Next, apply your oil of choice. I use Coconut Oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Applying the oil on top of the leave-in conditioner locks moisture into the strands.

Step 2

Super Defined Twist Out On 4c Hair

Do two strand twists with a styling cream and styling gel. My current favorite combination is the SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and the Curling Gel Soufflé. This combo is very moisturizing and my hair retains it’s moisture for the entire week. This product combo is also the secret to the definition, and the smaller the twists, the more definition you’ll get! I part each section, apply a small amount of the Curl Enhancing Smoothie followed by an equal amount of the Curling Gel Soufflé, and twist.

Step 3

Let your hair air dry over night. For max definition, leave the twists in for a day or two.

Step 4

Super Defined Twist Out On 4c Hair

Apply oil to your hands and gently separate the two strands of the twists. If you like big hair you can gently separate each strand further until your hair is as big as you want it. Keep in mind though that the more you separate, the more likely it is that you’ll get frizz. I only separate once, and separate further after a few days when the strands start to come apart on their own.

Step 5

Super Defined Twist Out On 4c Hair

F21 Necklace

Gently lift roots with a pick being careful not to pull all the way through, and style your Twist Out as you please. Don’t forget to gel down them edges, I use Gorilla Snot Gel.

Super Defined Twist Out On 4c Hair

The result is a super defined Twist Out that will retain moisture and definition for up to a week, without re-twisting or adding product. To maintain the style, I sleep with a satin bonnet and fluff with my hands in the morning. I gently lift my roots again with a pick on areas that I slept on and re-gel my edges daily, and apply a little oil for shine every few days when necessary. Check out my Twist Out Tutorial for a visual of the entire process.

1. 12.18.2015 / 8:40 am

Bookmarking this for when I decide to do the big chop lol. Question: does this hair style last the same with working out a lot? I always worry about how long styles will last with that.

12.18.2015 / 9:07 am

Lol I have no idea as I haven’t worked out all year smh

2. Cca
    12.18.2015 / 6:50 pm

Never heard of this gel, I have tried a few like hicks edge control but that doesn’t lay my edges down, I will try hope it works for me.

12.18.2015 / 11:12 pm

It’s amazing!

3. 12.18.2015 / 7:59 pm

ive done this. it works! i have fine hair so i have to be careful with how much product i use but otherwise, it yields consistent results

12.18.2015 / 11:14 pm

A lot of ppl say that the Curling Gel Soufflé makes their hair sticky, but they’re probably using too much. I love how it makes my hair feel.

4. Kyla Camille
    01.25.2016 / 5:58 pm

I just big chopped (2 weeks ago), and I seriously thought chopping my hair off was the worst mistake I could have made because I didn’t know how to properly style my Tapered TWA. I was looking on IG for inspiration, and I am so glad that I found you and your blog. After following your tutorials and having bomb hair day after bomb hair day, I am feeling sexy, sassy and like cutting my hair was the best choice I could have ever made! All of this to say, thank you, thank you thank you for documenting so impeccably!!

01.25.2016 / 11:01 pm

You are very welcome, and I am so glad that I could help you on your natural hair journey! 🙂

5. Natural
    07.03.2016 / 8:25 pm

I absolutely love your big chop journey. I stumbled upon your videos on Youtube AFTER my BC, as soon as my coil pattern came in, I went for the tapered look. But my hair went into shock, I got frustrated and almost went back to the “Creamy Crack” (perm), I’m glad I didn’t. I’m approaching my 1st year now and wanted to try a color but I’m scared I might experience the dryness and damages so I’ll just enjoy my growth for now.

One thing about my BC, I had to make it pop, so I ended up playing around with make-up & bigger earrings (something I was always afraid that would never fit my features) now I’m bolder than ever. I have even inspired alot of people around me and strangers to do a big chop, they follow me like I follow you but I usually just redirect them to your videos and site.

Stay Beautiful & all Natural

07.05.2016 / 10:32 am

You are very welcome hun. Congratulations on your natural hair journey, and for inspiring others. Thank you so much for the support, and sending others my way. It’s greatly appreciated! ?