It’s freezing in NYC and I’ve been curled up under my covers for most of the weekend. I’ve been feeling a little under the weather and really craving soup, but I needed something a bit more hearty to fill my belly. I thought Chicken and Dumplings would be perfect. This is a dish that I haven’t had since I was a little girl and I’ve never tried to make it myself. I browsed the web and took a peek at different recipes and decided to freestyle it. I’ve never made dumplings from scratch and didn’t want to mess it up so I cheated and used canned biscuits. I think next time I will try to make my own as it seems easy enough. Anyway, the final dish came out deelish and since I haven’t posted a recipe in a while I decided to share this one with you guys.
What you will need…
5 chicken legs seasoned to liking
3 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 large mushrooms, chopped (optional)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
2 cups of chicken stock
1 can of country style biscuits
1/4 cup of flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
salt & pepper to taste
1. Clean and season the chicken and let marinate overnight or at least for a half hour. I used kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and poultry seasoning. Wash and chop vegetables.
2. In a large pan or pot, heat the olive oil and butter. Brown the chicken for 5 minutes on each side and remove from the pan.
3. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
4. Add the chicken back to the pan, and add one cup of water. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. Remove chicken from the pan and take the meat off the bone, then place the meat back into the pan.
6. Add the cream of chicken soup followed by one can of water and the chicken stock. Add salt & pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
7. Cut the biscuits into fours and lightly coat each piece with the flour. This will thicken up the broth.
8. Give the pot a good stirring and then drop each piece of biscuit into the pot.
9. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, turning the dumplings half way through.
10. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Latest posts by Erica (see all)
- Battle of the Edge Control Gels, Which One Keeps Them 4C Edges Laid - 10.25.2016
- Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro Lip Stain in 201 & 400 - 10.24.2016
- Unapologetically Me - 10.21.2016