Is It Good For The Plan B Morning After Pill Not To Have Age Restrictions?

plan b morning after pill no age restriction

The debate over Plan B has been going on for a long while and it will continue to be a very heated topic of discussion. If you don’t know what Plan B is, Plan B One-Step also known as the “Morning After Pill” is a form of emergency contraception that reduces the chances of pregnancy after unprotected sex when used within 72 hours, the sooner the better. It works similar to birth control pills in that it uses the synthetic hormone levonorgestrel to prevent ovulation. If an egg has already been released Plan B may prevent that egg from being fertilized and it may also prevent an already fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine wall. This is not to be confused with the abortion pill as it does nothing if an egg has already been fertilized and implanted, in other words it does not terminate pregnancy. It also does not protect against STDs including HIV and AIDS (source.)

Plan B was available over the counter to women 17 years of age and older with proper identification, no prescription needed. If you were 16 and younger you needed a prescription in order to have access to the pill. That was until yesterday. Age restrictions were dropped on the Morning After Pill after a long drawn out fight between Women’s Rights Groups, the FDA and the government. Plan B will soon be available to women and girls of all ages over the counter, without a prescription. I am all for Women’s Rights and being able to do what I want with my body but this does make me a little nervous. Now I’m not going to even go there with the “teens shouldn’t be having sex in the first place” because they are and they will continue to do so. However, Plan B is fine in an emergency such as rape, a broken condom, missing a birth control pill or two or even the occasional slip up, but these teens (and adults alike) need to realize that AIDS, HIV and other STDs are very real and that it is important that they use protection. I hope that they don’t abuse the availability of the pill and have more unprotected sex thinking that now they don’t have to worry about unwanted pregnancies… because with these diseases going around a baby may be the least of their worries. On another note I guess parents don’t have rights anymore nor control over their children when kids these days are gaining so many freedoms to basically do what they want. When things go awry first one society blames are the parents!

What are your thoughts on the Plan B Pill not having an age limit?

1. Toni
    06.12.2013 / 10:18 am

Anything without boundaries will always be misused so I really do agree with your concerns..reading this makes me remember the amount of times I’ve spoken to my cousin about his reckless lifestyle that resulted in three baby mamas and a bevy of other women he’s still seeing. It’s sad that people (young, middle age, older) somehow believe that HIV and other STDs can’t happen to them.

06.12.2013 / 10:21 am

It seems as if some people think they are immune smh

2. 06.12.2013 / 10:24 am

Here in Spain until two or there years ago you needed a prescription to get the morning after pill, no matter hol old you were. Now you can purchase it directly at the pharmacy, and it seems that this hasn’t increased the number of underage women that choose this method, sales have rised just a little bit more. What’s more, I have a friend who works at a pharmacy and she says she is amazed at the amount of grown up women (> 30) that go there seeking for this pill, comparing to teenagers. I think it’s rather a matter of sexual education…

3. 06.12.2013 / 10:26 am

Sorry to post comment again, didn’t proofread the previous one:
    Here in Spain until two or three years ago you needed a prescription to get the morning after pill, no matter how old you were. Now you can purchase it directly at the pharmacy, and it seems that this hasn’t increased the number of underage women that choose this method, sales have rised just a little bit more, contrary to what people expected. What’s more, I have a friend who works at a pharmacy and she says she is amazed at the amount of grown up adult women (> 30) that go there seeking for this pill, comparing to teenagers. I think it’s rather a matter of sexual education…

06.12.2013 / 10:33 am

You’re right that’s why I specified adults too but I don’t think it’s sexual education. They are informed but still don’t take caution or precaution rather, as if they think that they are invisible and not affected. It’s quite a shame, even more so with the grown folks that should know better.

4. Lila
    06.13.2013 / 2:56 pm

I think not having age restrictions on Plan B is a great thing. Many young women do not use contraception of any sort because of fear of embarrassment or for fear of their family finding out that they are sexually active. I think removing the restrictions on Plan B will lead to fewer unwanted pregnancies and really, just make sure that women have more control over their reproductive health. I think saying “women shouldn’t have access to this because they won’t use it properly and with otherwise practice unsafe sex” is not a good enough reason to deny young women this valuable resource. We certainly need to put more emphasis on comprehensive sexual education and make sure that everyone gets it at school but that can be done in addition to this exciting change. We don’t know what young women are doing sexually or if it was against their will or not, and requiring them to have a prescription just shames them further, not a useful action on anyone’s part.

06.13.2013 / 2:59 pm

I hear you but sometimes people need to be ashamed as a reality check. A 12 year old should have to talk to her parents not walk to the store and get a pill. Then she can get guidance and proper sexual education, if not she’ll never learn.

5. DEEDEE
    06.13.2013 / 3:09 pm

Nope, and hell no! Kids (teens) are doing too much. Adults are doing too much. I have two girls and Im already feeling dealing with the teenager who is listening to friends (uneducation, niave) children. I don’t want my daughter thinking a pill will solve the problem. I know grown women take this plan and are still pregnant afterwards. NO thank you-too many freedoms to these drugs just creates a world of problems. Parents should be involved.

06.13.2013 / 3:14 pm

I totally agree. If it was my daughter if want her to come to me. It’s like parents have no rights these days!